10 Planned Giving Excuses Debunked

10 Planned Giving Excuses Debunked


What’s the Big Deal about Planned Giving Anyway?

When it comes to things we don’t understand, or may be intimidated by, there’s always a reason to avoid taking a closer look. This may work when it comes to getting too close to train tracks, but if you’re avoiding planned giving, you’re missing out on a good deal of funding. Why do people resist planned giving? Here are 10 planned giving excuses debunked:

  1. “Cash is King.”

The truth, however, is that only 5% of this nation’s wealth is in cash. The other 95% is in assets like stocks and property.

  1. “Planned gifts aren’t worth all the effort they require.”

Guess what? The typical completed planned gift is 200 times the size of a donor’s largest annual fund gift. Is that worth effort to you?

  1. “Planned gifts take too long, and we need the cash now.”

The average time from inception to maturity for a planned gift is 7-10 years. Think about it—

that’s only a few years longer than most campaign pledge periods.

  1. “We are not ready for planned giving.”

“Someday” is basically a code word for “never.” Those who even dabble in planned giving, however, earn 50-100% more than those who don’t. If you wait for perfect circumstances you will never start. You are ready to begin.

Check how “ready you are” with this interactive assessment tool.

  1. “I need to be an expert on gift plans and tax laws before I start asking for planned gifts.”

Planned giving is primarily a people business. If you love people and know how to talk to them, you can ask for planned gifts. You’ll have the help of attorneys and advisors when it’s time to work out the details.

  1. “Planned giving is expensive.”

Too many nonprofits are penny wise and pound foolish. You can easily give up $500,000 in bequests to save $3,000 in your budget.

  1. “If we ask people for a planned gift, they’ll stop giving cash now.”

Did you know, people who make gifts through their wills typically increase the amount of their annual support?

  1. “Planned gifts are a distraction in campaigns.”

Capital campaigns typically focus on 5% or less of the donor base while planned gifts reach the “hidden constituency,” your most loyal donors) Planned gifts provide up to 30% or more of comprehensive campaign totals.

  1. “Planned giving donors are wealthy.”

One of the best selling points of a planned gift is that it does not affect your cash flow—and that makes it accessible to people of
all income levels.

  1. “A bequest isn’t worth pursuing. People change their wills all the time.”

While 69% of donors change their wills, only 25% change a gift in their wills.

In today’s economy, charities have to show results, or else. Here’s hoping these debunked planned giving excuses inspire you to move forward with your program today. One last point: While planned giving is about money, there’s an even more important aspect: Trust, sustainability, and legitimacy.




Share With Your Board

The importance of planned giving from a financial perspective, and

The importance of planned giving from a strategic perspective.

How do gift planning vehicles work?

Interactive planned giving readiness quiz.


Categories: Bequests, Major Gifts, Planned Giving for Financial Advisors, Planned Giving Marketing, Marketing Planned Giving

All of our blogs, products and services are proudly conceived, created, reviewed, and disseminated by real humans — not A.I. (artificial “intelligence.”)

Legacy Planner Logo

Making Estate Planning Accessible, Simple, Personal, Secure and FREE!

Bequests are up, cash is down. Empower your donors to plan their will and invest their legacy in the cause they support the most.

Planned Giving Marketing Authority:

Leave a Reply

Reach out! We look forward to hearing from you.


We value your privacy and keep your
information private. We do not spam.